Posted: |
Updated: |
Rate: 0 0

In order to enter into marriage, a foreigner has to:

1. present a document proving his or her identity
2. submit a copy of the birth certificate with its translation made by a sworn translator  
3. submit a document certifying that he or she may enter into marriage in accordance with the law of his/her home country, and its translation made by a sworn translation
4. submit a written declaration that he/she has no knowledge any lawful impediment to this marriage

If the foreigner does not speak Polish, the above mentioned documents shall be submitted in the presence of a sworn translator. It is upon the future spouses to chooses a translator and cover the costs of his/her visit at the registry office.

If there are obstacles difficult to surmount to the obtaining of a document certifying the capacity to enter into marriage, a court may release the foreigner of the obligation to submit such a document in non-litigious proceedings on his/her request.

Documents necessary for a Polish citizen to enter into marriage with a foreigner:

•    singles: an identity document
•    an abridged birth certificate
•    divorcees: an identity document, an abridged copy of the marriage certificate, a copy of the divorce decree
•    widows and widowers: an identity document, abridged birth certificates, a copy of the death certificate of the spouse

The betrothed should go the registry office with the above mentioned documents. In the office, a document certifying that there is no legal impediment to this marriage is issued. The document is kept in the registry office if the ceremony will be held there or can be given to the foreigner for the purposes of a concordat marriage.

A sworn translator must be present at the registry office (unless the foreigner speaks Polish well).

In order to marry in a religious ceremony in Poland, a foreigner needs:

•    a document certifying that there is no legal impediment to the marriage
•    a certificate of baptism and confirmation (ask the priest whether the certificate can be in Latin; in such a case, there will be no need to translate them).
•    a document confirming participation in Pre-cana meetings

It is necessary to determine in which language the marriage ceremony will be held; whether
a translator will be needed (the priest may know languages); in which language the vows will be taken etc.

If the betrothed are of different denominations, you should also complete the formalities necessary for a interdenominational marriage.

Under the Polish law, marriage to a Polish citizen does not guarantee a foreigner either a residence permit or a work permit. The foreigner should apply for the documents in a voivodeship office. In the beginning, the period of validity of a residence card is extended each year, while the spouses have to attend interviews, the aim of which is to exclude the fictitiousness of the marriage.

Fees: stamp duty
•    for the drawing up of a marriage certificate – 84 PLN
•    for a permit for the shortening of a waiting period before marriage – 39 PLN

The fees shall be paid in cash upon the submission of the documents necessary to enter into marriage at the same counter.

The date and the way of completing the formalities:

The documents necessary to enter into marriage are accepted six months before the date of the intended marriage.

The place to submit the documents/complete the formalities:

Registry Office  
Department of Marriages
20 P. Włodkowica St
ground floor, Apt. 2
Tel.: +48 71 777 91 55, 777 91 89

Office hours:

Monday 8 a.m.–5.15 p.m.
Tuesday 8 a.m.–5.15 p.m.
Wednesday 8 a.m.–5.15 p.m.
Thursday 8 a.m.–5.15 p.m.
Friday 8 a.m.–5.15 p.m.


Registry Office in Wroclaw

20 P. Włodkowica St
Apt. 25, 2nd floorwoj. dolnośląskie
Monday-Friday 8.00 - 17.15
Email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Tel. +48 71 777 91 50
Tel. 71 777 91 51
Fax +48 71 777 91 52