Integration assistance includes:
1. financial benefits for maintenance and the covering of the costs of learning Polish, in the amount of 446 PLN to 1175 PLN a month per person (the amount of the benefits depends on the foreigner’s individual situation and the number of the family members; the amount of the benefits in the second semester is lower than in the first);
2. payment of the health insurance contribution as defined in the legal acts on general insurance in the National Health Fund;
3. specialist social counselling.
Integration assistance is granted on the request of a refugee/a person covered by subsidiary protection. An application covering the foreigner’s minor children and spouse if they hold the refugee status or are covered by subsidiary protection should be submitted within 60 days of the granting of the refugee status/subsidiary protection to the foreigner.
The application should include:
1. a written statement of the foreigner’s intent to take up residence in the territory of a given voivodeship;
2. a written statement that the foreigner has not submitted such an application in the territory of another voivodeship;
3. a written declaration of readiness to participate in the agreed integration programme
The foreigner should enclose copies of :
1. the decision of the President of the Office for Foreigner or the Refugee Council to grant the refugee status/subsidiary protection;
2. the Geneva Passport issued by the President of the Office for Foreigners;
3. the residence card issued in relation to the granting of the refugee status/subsidiary protection in the territory of the Republic of Poland;
4. any other documents held the foreigner that may prove useful in developing an integration programme.
Integration assistance is provided as part of the individual integration programme agreed upon between the municipal social welfare centre and the foreigner. A social worker of the Municipal Social Welfare Centre conducts a so-called community interview with the foreigner and his/her family and draws up an individual integration programme with him/her. The programme defines the amount, scope and forms of integration assistance as well as the mutual obligations of the foreigner and the Municipal Social Welfare Centre.
Pursuant to Article 22 of the Social Assistance Act, the Voivode is responsible for coordinating activities for integration of foreigners, especially ones aimed at finding a place of residence for them.
The Municipal Social Welfare Centre submits the programme agreed upon with the foreigner and the estimated costs of its implementation to the Voivode. After accepting the programme submitted, the Voivode transfers funds for its implementation. The Municipal Social Welfare Centre cooperates with the competent Voivode and the commune to provide the foreigner with assistance in finding a place of residence, taking into account, as far as it is reasonably possible, the foreigner’s choice. The foreigner shall take up residence at the place specified by the Voivode acting in cooperation with the Municipal Social Welfare Centre and the commune. If the foreigner refuses to take up residence at the place indicated within the boundaries of the given voivodeship during 12 months of the duration of the individual integration programme, it is tantamount to withdrawing from the programme. The foreigner shall be allowed to change his/her place of residence during 12 months of the duration of the individual integration programme only in special cases.
The Municipal Social Welfare Centre is required to:
1. provide the foreigner with information concerning the assistance defined in the programme and the terms and conditions for its suspension or refusal to grant such assistance,
2. cooperate with the foreigner and provide him/her with support in contacts with the local community, including a social assistance centre competent for the foreigner’s place of residence,
3. provide the foreigner with assistance in obtaining accommodation, preferably sheltered,
4. carry out social work with the foreigner,
5. take up any other activities agreed upon with the foreigner and necessitated by his/her individual situation,
6. appoint an employee, hereinafter referred to as a „programme coordinator,” whose task is to develop a programme together with the foreigner and to provide him/her with support in its implementation.
The refugee is required to:
1. register at the place of residence,
2. register at the district employment agency within the time period specified in the programme and actively search for a job,
3. attend obligatory Polish language courses, if necessary,
4. cooperate with and contact the programme coordinator at scheduled times, not less than twice a month,
5. undertake other activities necessitated by his/her individual situation and agreed upon with the programme coordinator ,
6. fulfill the obligations agreed upon in the programme.
In the event the foreigner fails to carry out the commitments specified in the Individual Integration Programme, particularly if he/she does not actively work for the benefit of his/her integration, integration assistance may be limited or suspended.
Integration assistance may be suspended in the event:
1. the refugee fails to fulfil the obligations specified in the programme in a willful and persistent manner – for a period of 30 days,
2. the refugee uses the assistance in a manner grossly incompatible with the purpose for which it has been granted – for a period of 30 days,
3. the refugee has provided false information concerning his/her situation – until the circumstances for providing such information are clarified
4. the refugee has been in a healthcare unit for 30 – until he/she leaves the unit,
5. penal proceedings have been initiated in relation to the refugee - until the final termination of the proceedings.
The Municipal Social Welfare Centre refuses to provide assistance in the event:
1. the foreigner who continues to receive assistance that had been suspended beforehand commits acts specified in the points 1-3,
2. the foreigner has been convicted by a valid judgement,
3. the foreigner has been deprived of the refugee status.
the website of the Board for the Homeless and Refugees at Wrocław Social Welfare Centre
Information on how to submit an application for the refugee status on the website info-migrator.pl